Beckenham is a Christchurch suburb just three kilometres south of the city centre. It was first settled by the Fisher brothers who arrived in 1850 on the “Charlotte Jane”, and later developed as a “Tramway suburb”. Once trams were introduced people were able to live further out from the central city and still travel in and out easily. The trams came down Colombo Road (later Colombo Street) to Devon Street in 1880. In 1898, the line was extended to the foot of the hills. By 1906, over 200 people lived in Beckenham, many of them working in the city and using the trams as transport. The South Library at Beckenham has meeting rooms and a cafe, which make it very popular.
This mural shows some of Beckenham’s history. The area below it is a flourishing community garden.
“The library is a friendly place
providing lots of meeting space.”